Thursday, May 01, 2008

Day One in New York

So it may seem a little bit much...but I just don't want to miss a minute of our trip. Here is Janet...painting her toe nails on the shuttle in SLC when we are heading to the terminal. Just taking care of some of the things she didn't have time for I guess! :) Before anyone "judges" realize that we had a redeye flight...so below is a picture of me and Jan in the middle of the night on our flight to NY.
This is how two girls pack that are going to be in New York for a week. I hope we brought everything we need!
The plan was...as soon as we landed (at 6:15am) in New York we were going to head straight down to the Today Show and try to get on. Well...30 miles doesn't seem so bad to get into town right? Well over two hours later....there was no way we were going to make it to the Today Show. We decided to just drive around downtown Manhattan for a while since we had made it this far.
Here is a picture heading into the city...and the Brooklyn Bridge! My picture really doesn't do it justice at all....it is so awesome!

Getting right into the middle of downtown...I just love the look of the city...so busy with shops and all sorts of people. I could just people watch for days!
By about 9:30 am I felt like should have been medicated. The traffic downtown was overwhelming. Lots of honking...people just cut you off, the tight spaces you have to drive in is the crazyiest thing I have ever seen. There were times I just have to look away and hope we came through okay.

To prove my point....at a stop light...here is Janet reaching ou to touch a huge semi that was just in the middle of downtown.
Once again...just not used to this intense traffic...especially taxi cabs...they don't care what you are doing...they are planning to get where they need...they are going to cut you off!
I love how the city looks with all the huge buildings. Fun picures!Heading up Broadway right into Time Square! Amazing....passed by he Late Show (wouldn't mind going to that)

Janet said that Time Square is even better at night...but I still had to take a picture. More to come I'm sure!


WOW! What do you say about Canal Street? I have heard from tons of people that we needed to go there (Janet's been ther before) so we went down there. I can't believe how much "crap for cheap" they have. I found some treasures like shirts for my boys....a new purse and wallet for me...they do have cute stuff too...but just a little overwhelming! You feel like you are being attacked by all the vendors!



I would have to say I wasn't really in the mood for pictures since I was going on more than 24 hours without a shower, but we couldn't pass up some photo opps on Canal Street.
Let me explain the hat....since I hadn't showered and had been on a plane all night...it was the only thing I had with me so I put it on...trying to hide the fact that we hadn't gotten ready yet.

Jan....pointing to where we are on the Subway map....
Last but not least....here we are stopping at a little market in New Jersey...stocking up on some snacks and drinks for our room. Oh yeah...and like our ride? Jan scored us a Lincoln SUV....that has already been fun to cruise around town in. I guess Janet's traveling has paid off since she is a Gold member with most rental companies....upgrades are no big deal.

1 comment:

Kristi Burley said...

I love it, I love it, I love it!! Keep it coming! I especially love when you call New York City "town" (i.e., driving into 'town'). I guess you can take the girl out of Shelley...but you can't take the Shelley out of the girl :) Boy, do I wish I could have made the trip. Hope you guys have lots, and lots of fun!! love ~kk
ps-you're riding in a Cadillac, not a Lincoln (just thought I'd let you know, before Ted did) :)